run out of: use up or finish a supply of (sth.)
- To our disappointment, our car ran out of gas halfway home.
- When they ran out of food, the soldiers set about hunting for more.
in amazement: with a feeling of great surprise or disbelief
- Aunt Sophia gazed at her picture in amazement: she looked like a teenage girl in it.
- 當他大聲地與他的朋友交談時，報告廳里所有的人都吃驚地盯著他看。(All the people in the lecture hall stared at him in amazement when he talked loudly with his friend.)
accumulate a huge mass of data 積累大量資料
accumulate experience 積累經驗
accumulate a fortune 積攢一筆財富
accumulate a good library 積聚一大批藏書
CF: accumulate & amass
- Through the years he accumulated sufficient money to buy a farm when he retired. (經過多年積攢，他有了足夠的錢在退休時買下一個農場。)
- He soon amassed sufficient evidence to support his case. (他不久便收集到足夠的證據來為他的案子辯護。)
1) stop working
- The elevators in this building are always breaking down.
- Talks between the two countries broke down when the two sides failed to reach an agreement.
3) destroy; reduce or be reduced to pieces
- They broke the door down.
break away 逃走，逃脫
break in 闖入，強行進入；打斷；插嘴
break into 闖入，強行進入
break out 逃脫，逃出；突然發生，爆發
break through 突破
break up 打碎；結束；解散；（學校）開始放假