SICHUAN COLLEGE ENGLISH TEST Band Three
Part II Vocabulary and structure (20%)
13. I really hope that we shall have an opportunity to meet again on anther__.
A)environment B)occasion C)situation D) condition
14. Coal was formed out of dead forest by chemical_______.
A)procedure B)process C) progress D)pracice
15. Over one hundred soldiers have been called in to guard the embassy _____further attacks.
A) against B)with C)for D) on
16.We regret inform you that the chemistry textbooks you wished to order are out of______
A)order B)reach C)stock D)place
17. In recent years, the tourist industry_____ greatly to the economy of our country.
A)benefits B)assists C)supports D) contributes
18. Mr. Phil Fogg didn't have to work. _____he went to his club every day.doing the same thing at the same time.
A)Instead B)Despite C)Despite of D)Instead of
19. We are talking about a water-tank with a _____of 2000 M3 to hold all that water.
A)dimension B)standard C)volume D)capacity
20. In this university. the best student are ______special scholarships.
A)awarded B)honored C)favored D)qualified
21. I'd like to take ______ of this opportunity to thank you all for your cooperation.
A)advantage B)benefit C)profit D)occasion
22. As we have expected. This new concept was quickly______ by post-80s and post-90s.
A) received B) accepted C)obtained D) acquired
23.You'd better employ a more______ sale manager than the one you currently have.
A) sufficient B)representative C)respective D)efficient
24.The management finally agreed to _____with the union about wage raise.
A) argue B)fight C)negotiate D)associate
25.Several of these washers and dryers are out of order and need______
A)to repair B)repaired C)to be repairing D)to be repaired
26.As my mother______ here before. I went to meet her at the railway station.
A)had never been B)had been never C)has never been D)never was
27.I put the picture of my most admired basketball star______ I can see it every day.
A) which B)whether C)where D)when
28.How long______ in this city It seems that you know every place of it.
A)would you have been staying B)had you been staying
C)have you been staying D)are you staying
29. ______with the size of the whole earth, the highest mountain does not seem high at all
A) while comparing B)when compared C)comparing D) compare
30.But for the excellent performance of the pilot, the air crash______ many more deaths
A)would cause B)would have caused C)had caused D)has caused
31.Nobody but jack and Jane in the class______ visited the elderly home recently.
A)have B)had C)has been D)has
32.John and Susan have agree to come to our party. ______has made Lucy very happy.
A)what B)that C)which D)who
Part III Reading Comprehension (40%)
Questions 33 to37 are based on the following passage.
Did humans live at the same time as dinosaurs
The answer is of course no, but about a third of Australians got it wrong in a recent survey.
The survey results are being used to highlight what is being described as a disturbing ignorance(無知) about science.
Dr Cathy Foley, president of the Australia Scientific and Technological Societies, says Australians have a long questions in a survey of 1,500 people and only 3 or 4 per cent of them got them all correct ,”she said.
“Unfortunately” 30 per cent of Australians think reptiles(爬行動物) or dinosaurs and humans were alive at the same time, for example.
“Also basic things like how much of the Earth is covered by water, how much of the water we have is fresh.
“these are things we should probably know just as general knowledge while a significant portion, about 30 per cent, of the population, aren't able to answer correctly”