Part I Listening Comprehension (15%) (20 minutes)
Part II: Vocabulary and Structure (20%) (20 minutes)
Directions: There are 20 incomplete sentences in this part. For each sentence there are four choices marked A), B), C), and D). You must choose the one answer that best completes the sentence. Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
16. If we continue to argue over the minor points we won't get _____ near a solution.
A) everywhere B) somewhere C) nowhere D) anywhere
17. A holiday in China is unlikely to cost very much ______ you stay in a top class luxury hotel.
A) unless B) when C) since D) if
18. He said she was used to going to bed late, ______?
A) wasn't she B) was she C) didn't he D) did he
19. You can see the _____ of yourself in the lake.
A) shadow B) scene C) sight D) reflection
20. Although he stayed in England for two years, he speaks English _____ you do.
A) as good as B) no better than C) as well as D) much better than
21. Being extremely _____ to the cold, I do not like winter sports.
A) sensible B) sensitive C) senseless D) insensitive
22. ______ the importance of doing morning exercises.
A) Little did they realize C) They did realize little
B) Little they realized D) They little did realize
23. Would you please keep me ______ of how things are going on with your studies?
A) informing B) to be informed C) to inform D) informed
24. Hot and humid summer is ______ of this southern city.
A) characteristic B) ordinary C) common D) general
25. All flights ______ because of the heavy snow, we had to take the train.
A) have been canceled C) having been canceled
B) were canceled D) had been canceled
26. It was _____ to wear T-shirt at such a formal party.
A) out of question B) out of order C) out of place D) out of date
27. The bank is reported in the local newspaper _____ in broad daylight yesterday.
A) robbed C) to be robbed
B) to have been robbed D) having been robbed
28. A body at rest remains at rest unless _____ upon by an external force.
A) acted B) acting C) to act D) to be acted
29. Jane felt quite relieved that the difficulty had been _____.
A) made up B) given up C) cleared up D) cleaned up
30. ______ good health, I can finish the work this year.
A) Give B) Gives C) Giving D) Given
31. The lady was lucky enough to _____ the earthquake and lived to the age of ninety.
A) undergo B) suffer C) experience D) survive
32. If only she ______ the exam, she could have been qualified for the position.
A) will take B) hadn't failed C) has failed D) would have taken
33. The reason I cannot go with you is _____ I am really busy.
A) that B) since C) because D) the fact
34. Her smile ______ that she had forgiven the students.